May 01 2014

The Danger of Toxic Plants

This summer should be spent out by the pool, working in our gardens or grilling out with our family and friends making great memories! When you’re out and about, make sure to keep your eyes on your fluffy family member at all times so that there are no temptations to chew or eat any plants that might be toxic to them.

blog7b

blog7cThis adorable young wheaton terrier, Olivia unfortunately found out first hand the consequences of eating the toxic sago palm. Luckily her mom saw the chewed up plant and brought Olivia in to see Dr. Morse at our veterinary clinic just in time! Within 15 minutes of ingestion you might notice drooling, decreased appetite, vomiting, or diarrhea. Central nervous system signs such as weakness, seizures, tremors or severe liver failure can be seen within 2-3 days after ingestion. Olivia had a comprehensive blood panel run in our in-house laboratory, was given oral activated charcoal to help absorb any of the toxins, and was sent home on several medications to help prevent any further problems. She is expected to make a full recovery after her scary adventure.

Beware of the following plants that can be toxic to your pet:

blog7d

(CLICK HERE for a complete list of toxic and non-toxic plants.)

If you have a pet that is DETERMINED to chew, eat, or even just play with your plants, here are a few non-toxic alternatives:

  • catnip/catmint
  • african violet
  • bamboo
  • gerber daisy
  • spider plant
  • boston fern
  • orchid

We hope you and your furry family members have a safe and fun summer! Don’t forget, if you have any questions, our animal doctors are just a phone call away!
Sincerely,

Maya Alexander, Receptionist

Maya Alexander, Receptionist

Website Admin | Clinic Blog

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Cornerstone Animal Clinic
11909 Preston Road, Suite 1456
Dallas, Texas 75230
972-385-3555